NPT Preparatory Committee 2017 : one day, one topic
For the first time in two years, the States Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) will gather in Vienna from 2 to 12 May 2017 on the occasion of the first session of Preparatory Committee (PrepCom), kick-starting a new review cycle that will culminate in 2020.
From 2 to 12 May 2017, the Preparatory Committee for the 2020 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) is holding its first session in Vienna.
France will take an active part in this session, during which it shall in particular organize two side-events on the following subjects:
- “DPRK : nuclear and ballistic threats”, on Thursday 4 May 2017 at 13:15,
- “Sterile Insect Technique for Agriculture and Health in Africa” on Tuesday 9 May at 13:15.
In the run-up to the session, the Permanent Missions of France to the Conference on Disarmament (@FR_desarmement) and to the United Nations in Vienna (@FranceONUVienne) invite you to follow their daily series “NPT: one day, one topic” focusing on various aspects of the Treaty.
Opened for signature in 1968, the Treaty entered into force in 1970. Since its entry into force, the NPT has been the cornerstone of global nuclear non-proliferation regime. With 190 States parties, including the five nuclear-weapon States, the Treaty is the most widely adhered to multilateral disarmament agreement.
Since the Treaty entered into force in 1970, conferences to review the operation of the Treaty have been held every five years. Each conference has sought to find agreement on a final declaration that would assess the implementation of the Treaty’s provisions and make recommendations on measures to further strengthen it.
The next Review Conference (RevCon) will take place in New York in 2020. It will be preceded by three sessions of the Preparatory Committee that will take place in Vienna in spring 2017, in Geneva in spring 2018 and in New York in spring 2019.
- The official webpage of the 1st session of the Preparatory Committee in 2017 ;
- The official website “France TNP” (in English) ;
- The Non Proliferation Treaty on the website of the Permanent Mission of France to the Conference on Disarmament
- The Non Proliferation Treaty on the website of the United Nations