CTBTO : governing bodies, Executive Secretariat and budget [fr]
- CTBTO: history, mission and verification regime ;
- CTBTO : governing bodies, executive secretariat and budget ;
- CTBTO : French commitment towards the Treaty.
The Comprehensive nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) is today, along with the Treaty on the Non Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT), one of the pillars of the world architecture on the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.
Before the entry into force of the Treaty, a Preparatory Commission and a Provisonnal Technical Secretariat have been settled in Vienna in 1997 in order to build the international verification regime planned by the Treaty and to elaborate relevant procedures :
- The States Signatories take seat inside the Preparatory Commission and its 2 subsidiary bodies : the Working Group A, dealing with admnistrative and financial topics, and the Working Group B, dealing with techniques, science and programmes.
- Under the authority of the Preparatory Commission, the Provisionnal Technical Secretariat is in charge of the construction and operation of the technical part of the verification regime, on behalf of the States signatories, along with the implementation of related administrative activities.
This Secretariat is composed of about three hundreds international staff dispatched inside 5 Directions (three technical directions and 2 administrative directions). About 12 French people presently work as staff members of the CTBTO (Professional staff, consultant, experts).
The Executive Secretary has a rank of Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations. He chairs in Vienna the Provisionnal Technical Secretariat of the CTBTO Preparatory Commission.
Only 3 Executive Secretaries have chaired the organization : Mr. Wolfgang Hoffman (Germany), from 1997 to 2005 and Mr Tibor Toth (Hungary), from 2005 to 2013. Mr. Lassina Zerbo (Burkina Faso) took office on 1st August 2013 and was reapointed for a second term till 31st July 2021.
According to all decisions made inside the CTBTO, the designation of the Executive Secretary is expected to be made through consensus, during a formal session of the Preparatory Commission, that usually convenes twice a year (in the spring and in the fall). Nevertheless, in the absence of consensus, a dedicated procedure is to be agreed by States signatories that leads to a voting process (based on a 2/3 majority for approval).
In 2020 the CTBTO regular budget is of 123,49 million US $. To this regular budget, voluntary contributions can be made (financial or "in kind" contributions) by CTBT States Signatories or regional groups, among which the European Union. Since 2006, the EU has contributed up to 23 millions € as part of the common foreign and security policy . This contribution is done every other year and is know as the "EU Council decision" ; for 2020-2021, it will be the "EU Council decision VIII".
France contribution to the regular budget is of 4,529 % (rate is established according to the United Nations rates of assessment), the 6 th highest contribtor after the United States, China, Japan, German and the United Kingdom.