2017 NPT Preparatory Committee
The first session of the Preparatory Committee of the 2020 Review Conference of the Treaty on the non-proliferation of Nuclear Weapons is taking place in Vienna from 2 to 12 May 2017. France calls for strengthening the NPT through realistic and concrete measures, as part of a balanced approach to its three pillars.
From 2 till 12 May 2017, the first session of the Preparatory Committee of the 2020 Review Conference of the Parties to the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) of Nuclear Weapons is taking place in Vienna.
This session quick-starts a new review cycle of the implementation of the NPT, the 10th of its kind since entry into force of the Treaty in 1970. The review conference itself, which will represent the culmination of this cycle, will take place in New York in 2020, in a context of symbolical importance marked by the 50th anniversary of the entry into force of the Treaty, the 25th anniversary of its indefinite extension and the 75th anniversary of the United Nations.
The French Delegation to the PrepCom is headed by Ambassador Alice Guitton, Permanent Representative of France to the Conference on Disarmament, and by Ambassador Jean-Louis Falconi, Permanent Representative of France to the United Nations Office and other international organizations in Vienna.
Along with its partners, France will advocate for the NPT to be strengthened through realistic and concrete measures, in a balanced approach to its three pillars (disarmament, nuclear non-proliferation and peaceful uses of nuclear energy).
Below are the statements delivered on behalf on the French delegation:
- Statement delivered under item 4 “General Debate” (Wednesday 3 May 2017) ;
- Statement delivered under cluster 1 (disarmament) (Friday 5 May 2017) ;
- Statement delivered under cluster 2 (non-proliferation) (Monday 8 May 2017) ;
- Statement delivered under the item "regional questions" (Monday 8 May 2017) ;
- Statement delivered under cluster 3 (peaceful uses)
In line with this balanced approach, the French delegation is also organizing two side events during this session, on the following topics:
- The DPRK nuclear and missile threats and the NPT, on Thursday 4 May at 13 :15 ;
- The Sterile Insect Technique for Agriculture and Health in Africa”, on Tuesday 9 May at 13:15.
* The official webpage of the 1st session of the 2017 Preparation Comittee ;